Monday, September 12, 2005

Another point for cycling

Back in the old days (3 to 5 years ago), running was my main form of exercise. I would ride my mountain bike or go for an hour-long ride on the weekend, but cycling was more peripheral to my daily routine.

Yesterday I ran my first 10 km race in probably 3 years. The only running I've been doing this summer has been about 2 times a week, with nothing to improve my speed like I would have done in the past.

The result was a time that was just 2 minutes off my fastest 10 km run ever, and it was more than 5 minutes faster than I was expecting (based on weekly jogs, and a bit of guessing). I can only attribute this to my bike commute. I don't think anyone would question if cycling was good exercise, but I was surprised at how well it served my running.

Now if only all this exercise would help with climbing the stairs today.

Darren J 9/12/2005 03:42:00 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment