Friday, September 02, 2005

Car Failure

My car failed its emissions test yesterday. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet because the oxygen sensor probably needs to be replaced but it'll put me out more than $500. (it's a modern fancy kind). I could get a nice set of fenders for my bike, and a lot more, for that.

I barely drive now, so I don't exactly feel guilty about the emissions. I wish I could use this opportunity to park my car and just leave the renewal for a year, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that. The winter will be here in 3 months and I haven't had a good chance to test my riding in the snow yet.

On a more encouraging note, I got a thumbs up from a woman passing me in a minivan today. I think she liked how quickly I climbed a hill. It felt so good I think my average speed went up by 8 km/h after that.

Darren J 9/02/2005 12:07:00 a.m.

2 Comments:

One year ago tomorrow, I gave up my personal automobile in favor of a bicycle. Like you, I live in a place with a rather harsh winter climate. Like you, I was nervous but hopeful about the impending winter's cycling experience. But with a set of Nokian studded tires, life was good. I can count on one hand the number of days that it was cold or snowy enough to force me onto public transportation of some sort. Winter's coming again, and I can't wait.
Thanks for the advice, Jim. I'll check the Nokian tires out and look at putting them on my mountain bike. I've been planning on installing some fenders and getting it ready for the winter commute.

And happy anniversary!

Add a comment