Monday, September 19, 2005

Terry Fox results

20 km turns out to be quite a long distance to run. Until yesterday, I thought I could probably run a marathon if I really wanted. I would just need to run slowly. Well, now I know that isn't true. Training would definitely be required. When I reached 15 km yesterday, I was feeling like I was running out of energy in my legs. Then by 18 km my legs felt like they were just dangling from my hips, swinging forward only because of my momentum.

It was satifying to complete, and a good time talking with my friend who ran with me. It was great to see so many people out enjoying the fresh air. We passed three 5 year-olds running beside each other. One of them said "I'm doing like Terry!". When Terry Fox ran through my part of Ontario when I was 5 years old, he was an inspiring news item. For these kids, he's a legend.

Towards the end of the run, a guy passing me on a bike gave a little toot of a horn. It was quite a good sound: a clear, strong tone. He told me it was called a Mega Horn. I found it at a local bike shop a few hours later for $35. I thought it was a bit steep, and decided to hold off until I looked into it some more. I'd like to find something better than my little bell. I have strong doubts my "ping ping" is being heard inside the cars that pull out in front of me.

Darren J 9/19/2005 01:45:00 p.m.

1 Comments:

I'm thinking of mounting a foghorn somewhere on my Xtracycle. Or maybe a PA system.

Add a comment