Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Second Cyclist Killed in GTA this October

This time a cyclist was killed on Queen St West by a truck. Very few details are available. Have a look here. The comments about sideguards make a lot of sense. Unfortunately the Eye articles says nothing of the cost, which is the only argument against them that I could imagine.

Tanya gives some very important reminders about cycling near trucks (and any motor vehicles). I find it really helps to read her pointers and the other sites on the web about cycling safely in traffic. Like anyone who has studied any martial art knows, it's the repetition and drilling it into your way of thinking that matters when it comes time to react quickly. And sometimes it isn't even about reacting quickly. It's about shaping your thoughts about what is safe and what isn't. Seeing so many other cyclists around us zipping on the right past turning cars doesn't mean it's safe.

Maybe we'll find out more soon about what happened.

I've been watching for news about the Richmond Hill man killed in Vaughan and haven't heard anything yet.

Darren J 11/02/2005 09:43:00 a.m.

1 Comments:

I'm sad to hear this news.

In terms of the fatality in Vauhan, I offer this bleak outlook, judging by my own misfortune today (http://royalwulff.dyndns.org/?p=236)

I don't expect an awful lot from the Police. I was lucky that the collision was low speed and that I managed to get out of the direct path of the vehicle.

I count myself pretty lucky. I learned that you can't depend on people actually seeing you or acknowledging that you have a right to be on the road.

Add a comment