Thursday, November 24, 2005

Welcome

I hope all the Americans out there are having a happy thanksgiving. I've celebrated this holiday before and it definitely ranks near the top of all holidays. Us Canadians have something to learn here. Four days off in a row, making it like Christmas, but no need to bother with the gift exchange (let me be clear that I do appreciate any gifts you may have given me in the past! The whole thing just takes a lot of time).

For some somewhat thematic reading, check out this article in Toronto Star about Iraq war deserters. The most prominent one (possibly the first) apparently has become a bike courier in Toronto. And he is trying to be considered a refugee here. Makes me feel pretty lame for picking this blog title.

Regarding the figure of 12 known deserters in Canada, this was a significant line:

"Nobody knows the exact figure, but the Pentagon admitted at the end of 2004 that desertions at that point numbered 5,500. It's a fair assumption that many of those slipped into Canada." -- Christian Cotroneo, The Toronto Star

I should bump into one of these guys on the street some time soon. Or maybe I have already.

This is the kind of story that I expect gets very little coverage in the US, but gets covered enthusiastically here in Canada. I'm not sure what to conclude from that. Is it more evidence of our superiority complex?

By the way, I just realized that I've been linking to all these Toronto Star articles, but I've been logged into their site without paying attention to it, because it's all automatic. It's not too difficult to register with, but I know this isn't ideal. Or do they let you look at the odd article without registering?

Darren J 11/24/2005 04:17:00 p.m.

1 Comments:

I like http://www.bugmenot.com to bypass that pesky registration stuff.

Add a comment