Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Salt intake ... check

The first step I need to take is to learn how to keep my mouth closed while I ride down wet salty streets. The second step is to figure out how to install fenders on the front fork of my mountain bike. The problem is that it has a suspension fork with no grommets (eyelets?) for the fenders to attach to near the hub. I've seen some fenders in stores that are made for this type of fork, but the last set I bought was total garbage and wouldn't install well. I might try to work some magic with tie wraps, but I'd always be concerned about the front fender snapping off and jamming in my front wheel. I'd like to avoid that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

In the meantime, the cycling will keep my blood pressure down on average, and the high salt diet will cause it to increase. A perfect balance. God works in mysterious ways. (note that "God" was at the start of that sentence keeping capitalization vague, and therefore inclusive). Unfortunately, I don't think they use regular table salt on the roads, so I doubt this morning's ride was so healthy.

As for the election: it could have been worse.

Darren J 1/25/2006 12:56:00 p.m.

5 Comments:

I've always wondered about year round cyclists!

Hope you find a solution soon.
Last year, I used the front fenders from the Zefal Classic clip-on fender set (the rear wouldn't fit with my rack), a forward deflector shield and on the rear, a rear deflector shield attached to the rack with cable ties, and a clip-on SKS fender. This did the job pretty well, the only problem is the front fender didn't attach to the brazeons, so if I caught it with my boot doing a slow turn it would shift out of position - there's not much that can be done about this other than knock it back in place with a boot from the other side. Total outlay was somewhere in the region of $30, which isn't too bad. This year I got a full fender set installed, as I'd had enough of the front fender flapping around. The deflector shields are still there, and the forward shield in particular does a good job of keeping a surprisingly large amount of crap off the drivetrain.

I have a picture of my bike from last year if you want to see what it all looked like.
Hey Darren, Cycle-Licious picked up on my mentioning of your Apple Juice entry last night, so you may get a lot of people coming here today. He does a better job than I did featuring your awesome drawings though. :)
Thanks for all the details, Steve. I'll have a look at those Zefal clip-ons for the front. I don't mind kicking it back into place, as long as it won't be hitting my tire (or hitting it rarely). The clip-on and the deflector shields are both pretty cheap, so it doesn't hurt to try them out.
If you kick it hard enough it will rub against your front wheel. There's no missing the sound (or the vibration in your front wheel), but it'll certainly take a thin layer of rubber off your tyre if you don't bang it back in place quickly enough.

One thing I forgot to mention is after getting coated in salt for a season the adjustment wheel basically corroded on and it couldn't be adjusted (although it didn't come off easily, either); make sure it's adjusted how you like it before too much salt gets in there!

Add a comment