Friday, August 18, 2006

BikeFriday!

Joe at Biking Toronto is always working hard to make the world a better place. Now he's working at organizing people to ride together to work. I like the idea since I think it's a helpful way to be introduced to bike commuting. The name for the event is BikeFriday and it'll happen on the last Friday of every month. The inaugural bike rides will take place one week from today.

I gave him my route, slightly modified so it passes by more places of employment. I'm heading to Richmond Hill and Thornhill, but it'll work well for someone heading up to North York City Centre also. Anyone is welcome to join me at 8:00 AM.

I'll be at the Yonge and Lawrence start point, but I'll be heading north. It looks like it would help a lot to have another "ride leader" there who's heading south. So send an email to bikefriday@bikingtoronto.com if you want to help out. I'm sure it wouldn't be very difficult.

I can't offer lots of free stuff, but if it looks like there'll be a good sized bunch of us, I'll pick up some donuts like I did for the Unofficial Group Commute North earlier in the year.

Darren J 8/18/2006 12:47:00 p.m.

5 Comments:

Any chance you want to hook up at Leslie & 16th to continue on to the Markham Town Centre @ 7 & Warden? I have the feelilng I'm going to be an army of one for most of the ride from RH to Markham anyway ;)

Failing that, how about meeting up after work to head down to CM? The fourth time might be the charm for me.
Let's wait until next week to see if we're both armies of one in the morning. If I have other people with me, I don't want to push anyone's speed.

We could definitely meet up at the end of the day to ride down to CM. Great idea.
I hope Joe has better luck with BikeFriday than I had with my "Bike Buddy" program. In six months I've matched up two new bike commuters with experienced bike commuters. But I don't think they actually hooked up. If BikeFriday works better, I will copy its format. Keep us posted, please.
I'll definitely let you know how it goes. The nice thing about this is that it creates an event, which might work better for news media and help get word spread around.
I have been reading over your blog for awhile now and have really enjoyed it. I would like to add your blog to my link page and was wondering if you might do the same.

If your interested either contact me, Mike, on www.bikecoalition.com or email me at mdbobbey@yahoo.com.

Add a comment