Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Toronto Rakes The Leaves While Etobicoke Makes Belief

There was another embarrassing comment from an Etobicoke councillor in the paper today. In the face of a reasonable plan to mitigate the effects of our pollution, a councillor demonstrated how much she cares about the rest of humanity. From the Globe article:

"When you have big suburban lots, like I do . . . a push mower just ain't going to do it," said Councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby (Ward 4, Etobicoke Centre). "Who's going to do all that pushing? . . . We're urging everybody to keep your trees, plant more trees, yet, guess what, no leaf blowers. So again that's kind of a contradiction in terms."


OK, I know that information on global warming is only available to us elite few who have access to: scientific reports, documentary films, television news, newspapers, radio or the internet. Maybe she hasn't heard.

I've read that using a good quality reel mower isn't much harder to push than a heavy gas-powered mower. I'll be able to testify to this in a couple months. (I used one easily a few years ago, but I was a poor student then and didn't really pay attention to things like convenience.)

The second part of her comment is the embarrassing part. The response to this is so painfully obvious that I know I won't be the only one to say it. Councillor: Let me introduce you to a curious invention known as "the rake". You only need to use it a few times a year and it's maintenance free!
(People even have fun using them.)

Labels: ,

Darren J 3/27/2007 08:00:00 p.m.

4 Comments:

Don't like pushing a mower? Grow a garden. Turf grass is an invasive species. Low maintenance gardens could even be conceived to accept leaves as .. mulch. Delicicous and nutritious.
During the recent city council election debates at Etobicoke Civic Centre, GLL's biggest claim to fame was keeping the leaf-collection program alive. She was practically campaigning on that.

I don't know what up with her and leaves.... it's a strange fascination.
Strange. Was there a chance of leaf pick-up being canceled? I didn't hear about that.

I was just looking at how to compost your leaves and it seems that a power lawn mower is usually recommended for shredding. I guess I'll have to come up with something more creative.
It's what gives us a bad name. "I just *caaan't.*" Horsehockey. We all neeeeeeed all this crap.

Add a comment