Friday, March 09, 2007

Weekend events

This Sunday, there's going to be a big do at Nathan Phillips Square. High Noon. If you like life and all the good things associated with it, you should go. Tooker cyclists are going, and so are some hip mamas.

I have plans with family that day, so unless I can get everyone in my family to go to a rally, I won't be there. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever really participated in a rally. When I lived in Ottawa, I accidentally found myself in the middle of a couple, but that doesn't count. One time I was lying on the grass in front of Parliament reading a book, and the next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a gay pride parade. I don't think that counts either.

Speaking of "the changing world", some of the people writing for The Oil Drum are declaring Saudi Arabia is at its peak production. The article is technical, but very understandable. If this is true, it would be a big deal, to put it mildly. We won't be able to verify they're right for a few years though. It seems that while most commenters on The Oil Drum agree that peak oil will be seen some time before 2012, there are still people, most notably Daniel Yergen of CERA, saying that it's many decades away.

This whole thing has me thinking about solutions. I'm not so much thinking about what I would like the solution to be, but what I think will end up happening. I learned a bit about electric cars recently, but I'm going to do some more reading on the subject. I want to learn about them to find out simply if they have a future. 1 ton of batteries is a hell of a lot of weight to transport. There have been some improvements in technology, so this is what I need to find out about. On top of the vehicle issues, nuclear power has a lot of opponents. Take a look at what GM is doing.

I'd much rather have a world where people rode bikes, took trains and trams, and walked, but I know people will keep spending money on cars as long as they can.

Enjoy the weekend. It looks like some nice weather is arriving. As much as I enjoy the challenge of the winter, I'm done with it. Bring on the spring.

Labels: ,

Darren J 3/09/2007 12:39:00 p.m.

2 Comments:

Hi Darren,

You haven't been blogging much lately. I think you should drag the family out to the climate change rally. It is a worthy cause.

When I was couriering in Ottawa I was stuck in the middle of the anti G8 anti globalization rallies for a whole week!
It's true, Ben. I've just been having a hard time finding time to sit down and type. I'm sure it'll pick back up.

Good seeing you yesterday.

Add a comment