Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A very local food supply

Now that I own (well, barely own) a tiny piece of this highly fertile southern Ontario soil, I've been trying to make use of it. While my work isn't quite bearing fruit, it is bearing leaves, so I thought I'd show it off.

These are my tomatoes. I spent so much time going back and forth on which kind of tomatoes to plant, that I forget which one I picked. I think these are some kind of cherry tomato.



Next up are some peas, on the left. I tied them up today. It took me a full hour to support 12 pea plants. I have a feeling that's not the way it's done on the farm. Barely visible are some carrots on the right. The carrots are really starting to get bushy this week. I pulled a few out, and there's still nothing down below.


This is my spice pot, featuring basil and thyme. I think it's thyme. I like basil, but I don't know why I bothered with thyme, since I've probably never cooked with it.


As you can see, with a little bit of work, I've been able to grow food to supply my family with nourishment to survive whatever crisis global politics throws at us, as long as that crisis still provides us with some protein, on which to put my basil, and it only lasts three days. Oh, and ideally it'll come some time in late July to August.

Anyone know what this flower is? It was a nice surprise for us that bloomed just today.



Labels:

Darren J 5/30/2007 09:45:00 p.m.

2 Comments:

Any squirrel / raccoon problems yet? My girlfriend gardens in pots on our small balcony and if she leaves them out overnight the squirrels get into them.
Last summer we had raccoons all over them, even when we tried safeguarding them behind fishnetty stuff.
My wife has developed a strong dislike for every squirrel she sees within a 1 km radius of our yard. I think it's only one squirrel though that's causing problems. It has been digging up the flower bulbs in the garden, then taking a bite, then leaving it.

It's especially impolite of him if he destroys the garden and doesn't even get any sustenance out of it.

We have some racoons around once in a while, but they haven't done any damage yet.

I'm surprised the squirrels even climb up onto balconies to look for food. I guess a building is like a big tree. Has your girlfriend considered trying any cayenne pepper?

Add a comment